Week 1

 

< Week 1 >

Click here to view our week 1 summary.


Applying notes.jpg

MON
19/06

 

So It Begins - Gathering Materials

Today we began by arranging a workspace where we would be working from for the duration of the project. We gathered the materials we would need to begin the project and had a preliminary discussion about how to start work.

We began by printing out the pages of the booklet and going page by page and analysing each using the 5w method (who, what, where when, why and how). From this analysis we began to critique the sections, looking at what worked and what didn’t.

The first section covers a very basic introduction of both the booklet itself and chemotherapy.

The second section regards expectations of inpatient and outpatient treatment

The third section deals with side effects and avoiding infections, with the final two sections covering a general FAQ and contact details.

We also did some preparation for our hospital visits taking place next week. Looking at what we would need in advance and the format of any interview we would be doing.


Copy of Adding Notes.JPG

TUES
20/06

 

Post-it City

In preparation for visiting the hospitals of Crosshouse and Edinburgh Lothian we drafted a consent form for use with any interviews that take place.

We continued our lengthy review and critique of the original Chemotherapy document and started work on a blog/website that will be viewable by the general public and will show our progress with the project.

In the afternoon we create a to-do list for the week leading up to our first presentation of our initial findings and progress with the project. Finally, we emailed our NHS contacts to help answer some general questions we have regarding the booklet.


Workspace 4.JPG

WED
21/06

 

Let’s do the Time Lapse Again

Today we finally finished our review of the original Chemotherapy booklet by analysing and critiquing the contact pages, the map and the note section at the end of the booklet. We now have a detailed analysis and critique of each section of the book, as well as a list of any items listed sporadically throughout the book that a patient might require.

Work continued on the website and we implemented a camera to record time lapse videos to give a better insight into progress and a detailed look at how we are approaching the project.

Following this we began work on our questions for the interviews we would be conducting the following week. We prepared a list of questions for patients, staff and carers/family members. For each person we divided the questions into introductory icebreaker questions, general questions about support materials and finally questions specifically about the Chemotherapy booklet.


Dan_Ed Reviewing UWS.jpg

THUR
22/06 

 

Interviews and Analysis

We split into two groups today, with one group working on creating templates for interviews that would allow us to easily write up any notes during and after the interviews. This would also be used for us developing personas of users and stakeholders for our research.

The second group began work on typing up the analysis we had done on the original Chemotherapy booklet. This will be a lengthy process that will take several days and result in a document thousands of words long, but this analysis will be extremely important to identify exactly where the booklet can be improved. The plan is to include a summary document that will highlight the key points of the critique in a far more concise manner.

We planned out the website layout, what would be included and how pages would link to each other. We wrote individual bios for use when the website is published and took mugshots to use in our profiles.


Planning week.jpg

FRI
23/06 

 

First Contact

In preparation for our first official meeting with staff from the NHS we compiled our key insights together to be able to talk through our initial findings of the booklet. Typing up of our analysis continued and we put together a lengthy contact list of everyone who is collaborating on the project and any useful contacts we’d been given. We created a list of commandments that the new booklet or method of communicating the information within the booklet should absolutely do.

In the afternoon we had our meeting and were able to discuss the direction the work has been moving in so far. We briefly talked about our involvement in the UWS impacts event taking place in Ayr in July where we will be contributing. We then discussed our work, and took the group through our process of breaking the booklet down to sections and analysing the success and failures of each using the 5W system. Finally we arranged an appropriate time to be able to visit Crosshouse hospital for the first time, a major stepping stone in our development of the project.